Business Controls Administrator – Issues ManagementBusiness Control Office Dallas, Texas
Job Family: Business Operations
Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the company’s business units. Aims to deliver superior service to clients by driving and optimizing the effectiveness and efficiency of people, processes and technology thereby enhancing financial performance, increasing investment capacity, and managing risk. Builds the sustainable repeatable capabilities that support delivery of the highest standards of service and execution. Analyzes and reviews data tools, business processes and operational standards to execute service delivery. Evaluates and ensures that operations meet company objectives, business needs, service agreements and relevant requirements. Researches and monitors external landscape to identify developments and translate them into operational implications for the company.
Job Function: Auto Loan & Lease Quality
Monitors and evaluates reporting, metrics, trends and consumer interactions, for quality and adherence to internal process and standards and regulatory expectations. Works to address issues and trends and collaborates cross-functionally to improve operational processes, quality and controls.
Summary of Responsibilities:
This position will initially provide support to the SC Operations Group with the longer-term potential to expand to other SC FLoD functions. The individual is responsible for assisting in the execution of a control framework to minimize impacts from all risks (e.g. Regulatory, Customer, Financial, and Reputational). This role is expected to execute the following tasks to a high degree of quality within the overall FLoD Business Control Framework.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with Functional Control team members and leadership. Partner with team to ensure clear understanding of appropriate documentation for intake, mitigating actions, and closure. Address situations of non-adherence and provide assistance as needed to close knowledge gaps.
- Perform reviews of data to identify anomalies, trends, and potential weakness or inaccuracies in effective reporting and management of Issues and Action Drivers. Proactively open communication with necessary parties in order to drive resolution. Escalate areas of immediate concern or road blocks in resolution to Issue Management VP.
- Assist in performing regular reconciliation of Issues and Action Drivers logged within system of record to other reporting sources including but not limited to Compliance, State Exams, Internal Audit, and RCSA. Build and leverage relationships with Control leadership across FLoD functions to address discrepancies. Influence others as needed to ensure that all identified Issues and Action Drivers are entered into the system of record.
- Keep up to date status within system of record for all assigned Issues and Action Drivers throughout lifecycle. Perform timely updates within the system upon receipt of appropriate documentation and required approvals.
- Ensure all documentation to support closure of assigned Issues and Action Drivers is archived within Issue Management’s central repository. Ensure that provided artifacts are thorough, complete, understandable, and demonstrate completion of documented actions to support risk mitigation.
- Assist in monitoring Issues or Action Drivers for which ownership and mitigation span across multiple FLoD functions. Track progress to ensure that past due Issues or Action Drivers, or those at risk of becoming past due, are identified and proactively addressed. Effectively network with stakeholders across FLoD functions to drive resolution.
- Perform evaluation and effective challenge of identified Issues and Action Drivers to ensure key data elements are present, accurate, and effectively represent the risk posed to the organization. Assist Functional Control team to address and correct inadequacies prior to entry into the system of record.
- Assist in the preparation of regular and ad-hoc presentations, decks, or reporting to be delivered to Senior Management, SC Committees, SLoD, and or external requestors such as Regulatory bodies.
- Evaluate new Issues and Action Drivers for situations which breach Escalation Impact Thresholds and facilitate immediate escalation to Functional Control and Issue Management leadership as well as Operational Risk Management. Participate as needed in the creation of escalation notification provided to Executive Management, Ops Risk Committee, and SHUSA stakeholders.
- Perform timely review and effective challenge of documentation provided for all assigned Issues and Action Drivers including intake, root cause, mitigating actions, material changes, risk acceptance, and closure requests. Address insufficient or incomplete documentation and provide clear, concise feedback to outline corrections or additional information required.
- Communicates findings/concerns, both verbally and in writing, to leadership.
- As requested, facilitate and present discussions on behalf of Business Controls with key stakeholders across the organization and lines of defense including but not limited to: Triage, Governance forums, and Committee structures. For discussions which are owned by Business Controls, facilitate scheduling, preparation of agendas, and completion and distribution of meeting minutes.
- Updates documentation throughout the Issue Management life cycle.
- Evaluates evidence and artifacts for assigned items and fill in gaps as they are seen to assist and facilitate the completion of the team’s work.
- As needed, attend and participate on behalf of Management in discussions for high level initiatives where Business Control Office is a key stakeholder. Examples may include but are not limited to: system conversions, strategy changes, or new initiatives within the organization. Keep detailed and accurate records of follow up actions or areas of focus for Business Control. Escalate areas of concern or potential roadblocks to leadership as appropriate.
- As requested, develop, present, and coordinate strategies to execute work within Business Control team for ad-hoc needs and special projects. Lead team staff meetings and calibrations in the absence of Management.
- Establishes, develops, and maintains appropriate and viable interpersonal relationships working as part of the Business Control team and working independently of their direct manager when appropriate.
- Promotes the professional image of the Business Control Group through the practice of being beyond reproach in all areas of outward visibility, especially when dealing with internal and external Management personnel.
- Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team. Aid in the development of bench strength within the Business Control team by leveraging knowledge of risk and controls to share best practices and assist in the training of less seasoned team members or new hires.
- Possesses the ability to identify preventive solutions to problems.
- Shares knowledge with team members, counterparts, subordinates, and peers to facilitate the enhancement of all aspects of the team.
- Participate in activities and projects that build a Culture of Compliance within the organization.
- Ensure all tasks are carried out with a high degree of professionalism and lead by example.
- As required, participate in complex projects and business initiatives in alignment with the organizations risk appetite and regulatory requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Manages subordinate managers and professional staff. Is responsible for the strategic guidance, development and evaluation of employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Santander’s policies and applicable laws.
- Education –
- Bachelor’s Degree
- or equivalent work experience
- College degree and/or professional certifications (MBA/CPA/CICP/CIA, etc.) preferred.
- 5 to 9 years of Risk Management, Business Controls or related experience.
- Strong proficiency in analytical work, documentation capacity and capability, and presentation abilities
- Professional, Articulate, and effective communicator with a proactive and ‘no surprise’ approach in communicating issues and strength in sustaining independent views.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel as needed
- Good proficiency in advanced PC applications (MS Access, SQL, IDEA, etc.)
- Expert ability to set and balance short- and long-term priorities and remain focused within a rigorous, fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Prior experience in corporate environment dealing with auditors and legal counsel is not required but preferred.
Strategic and tactical thinker
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to foster a collaborative working relationship with multiple functional and operational areas.
- Ability to adapt to various work environments, industries, and project schedules.
- Proven ability to build network quickly, influence others and effectively address audiences of all levels.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Frequently: Minimal physical effort such as sitting, standing, and walking.
- Occasional moving and lifting of equipment and furniture is required to support onsite and offsite meeting setup and teardown.
- Physically capable of lifting up to fifty pounds, able to bend, kneel, climb ladders.
- This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
- The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.