Risk and Controls AnalystBusiness Control Office Dallas, Texas
Summary of Responsibilities: This position ensures that first line of defense (FLOD) develops, executes, and continuously enhances an effective Control governance oversight and framework. Will report to the VP Control Governance and Strategies, and under direction of that position will define governance structure and support the execution of FLoD activities.
This position will initially provide support to the SC Operations Group with the longer-term potential to expand to other SC FLoD functions. The individual is responsible for supporting the control governance framework oversight, ensuring effective execution and continuous enhancement to ensure Business engagement of risk and control activities. Focus of this position includes:
- Under the leadership of the VP Control Governance and Strategies – FLoD, execute and enhance a governance structure to ensure Business Partners and Leadership are engaged, understand risks associated with the current risk and control environment, and execute strategies to ensure mitigation of risks.
- Role will be required to support the development, implementation, and execution a Control Governance forum where Control and Business Leadership regularly review and understand risks, and develops strategies to enhance the control framework. This initially will be for the Operational functions but may be expanded to include other SC FLoD functions.
- Execute Key Risk Indicator (KRI) Oversight for all FLoD functions. Initial scope will be to review and enhance existing KRI inventory, obtain Business and Second Line of defense approval (both SC and SHUSA), and then ensure monthly reporting and review including activities to address identified gaps in performance. Expectations are that KRI’s will be continuously reviewed and enhanced as appropriate to reflect changing Business strategies and risks.
- Execute updates to RCSA for Operational Loss events, ensuring appropriate root cause analysis, and allocation of these losses to the appropriate RCSA.
- Individual will be expected to support strategic initiatives as required by Second Line of Defense (SLoD) functions at both an SC and SHUSA level.
Job Description: Support the Santander Consumer (SC) Business Control Officer (BCO) SVP in ensuring that first line of defense (FLOD) develops, executes, and continuously enhances an effective Control governance framework.
This position will initially provide support to the SC Operations Group with the longer-term potential to expand to other SC FLoD functions. The individual is responsible for ensuring that a control governance framework oversight is effectively executed and continuously enhanced to ensure Business engagement for risk and control activities. This role is expected to execute the following tasks in an exemplary fashion to enhance the overall FLoD Control Framework:
- Under the direction of the VP Control Governance and Strategies, support execution and enhance a Control Governance Forum to ensure that all key control metrics are reviewed and acted upon, emerging risks are identified, and that accountability for Control activities are properly aligned. This forum will include all levels up to and including COO, CFO, CRO, etc.
- Execute and continuously enhance a KRI (Key Risk Indicator) framework that meets all Policy requirements. This framework would be executed across all FLoD functions.
- Support complex projects and business initiatives in alignment with the organizations risk appetite and regulatory requirements. This will require an effective engagement both first and second LOD’s functions at an SC and SHUSA level.
- Partner with other FLoD Operations Control functions to ensure consistency in strategies and execution, and the effective utilization of Staff Resources:
- Issue Management – ensure that Issue management metrics are included in the governance forum, and drive strategies to ensure an effective framework
- RCSA Testing – partner to ensure reporting of testing plans and execution, and that RCSA deficiencies resulting from Control Testing are incorporated in Governance Forum to ensure a Senior Management view and Business accountability.
- Control Analytics – partner to ensure effective and timely reporting that supports the oversight and drives risk accountability for Issue Management, RCSA, and KRI’s. Detail would be core to the effectiveness of the Control Governance forums.
- Functional Controls – partner to ensure effective execution of control forums, and that Business partners are appropriately engaged and accountable for risks. Engage to ensure enhancement and execution of Key Risk Indicator (KRI) metrics, and accountability with the appropriate risk owner.
- Learning Development/Governance Oversight (GO) – engage and leverage to ensure an effective engagement model for Business Control oversight and support.
- Facilitate activities and projects that build a Culture of Compliance within the organization.
- Support the effort to build a sustainable and repeatable process to assess risk, monitor and track identified gaps and remediation efforts.
- Identify technology and operations activity that may pose heightened risk to the organization including those that could impact reputational, compliance or the financial condition of the organization and drive remediation projects.
- Demonstrate sound leadership skills to ensure effective judgment, creativity, a practical approach and commitment to achieving excellence.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the Operations senior team and their direct reports, as well as SLoD functions.
- Ensure all tasks are carried out with a high degree of professionalism and lead by example.
- Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team and train others on regulatory requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree with business related focus required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to foster a collaborative working relationship with multiple functional and operational areas.
- Ability to leverage a creative thought process (both strategic and tactical) and act independently.
- Proven ability to engage in a governance forum that includes participation of COO-levels, supporting governance methodologies that exceed internal and regulatory expectations.
- Excellent analytical, technical and problem solving skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Experience in preparation of decks to review with all levels of Management. Strong skillset in Excel and PowerPoint (or corresponding products) is required.
- Minimum two (2) to three (3) years’ experience in compliance and/or risk and control experience in preferably in the financial service industry. Experience in Auto Finance is preferred but not required.
- Expert ability to set and balance short- and long-term priorities and remain focused within a rigorous, fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Prior experience in corporate environment dealing with regulators (CFPB, FRB, OCC, FDIC, etc.), auditors and legal counsel is preferred.
- High ethical standards.
- Articulate and effective communicator with a proactive and ‘no surprise’ approach in communicating issues and strength in sustaining independent views.
- Ability to adapt to various work environments, industries, and project schedules.
- Proven ability to build network quickly, influence others and effectively address audiences of all levels.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Extended working hours may be required as dictated by management and business needs.
- Travel to multiple facilities may be required.
- May be required to lift, push, or pull materials weighing up to twenty (20) pounds.
- May be required to sit and review information on a computer screen for long periods of time
- May require repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard
- Corporate / satellite office role
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.