Sr. Director, CommunicationsHuman Resources Dallas, Texas
Job Family: Communications
Designs, influences, implements and monitors the strategies for communicating the company’s vision, values and business strategy. Administers and plans communications to engage employees on strategic business imperatives and organizational direction. Identifies, synthesizes, and articulates the company’s perspective and issues accurately to stakeholders, including employees, customers, the news media, and shareholders. Provides ongoing support and communication advice to company leadership to ensure consistency and alignment with established organizational principles, business objectives and media strategies.
Job Function: Corporate Communications
Develops, reviews and delivers both the company’s internal and external communication strategies and key messages based on understanding of the business and objectives. Ensures the communication strategies are implemented on time and within budget. Creates, manages and implements key announcement strategies, crisis communications programs and stakeholder communications. Evaluates, reviews and edits communications and materials for quality, completeness, accuracy and alignment with established brand standards.
Provides ongoing support and communication advice to company leadership to ensure consistency and alignment with established organizational principles, business objectives and media strategies. Ensures that employees can rapidly identify, send, receive and understand information that is clear, credible and relevant. Develops, publishes and distributes a range of organizational, cultural and HR-related materials in traditional print form, electronically or through online technologies. Creates intranet content, newsletters, brochures, handbooks, and meeting materials. Provides issue management for external/media inquiries. Develops, nurtures, and maintains strong relationships with the media to increase marketplace awareness of strategic direction, business results, products and solutions.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Sr. Director, Communications creates and oversees measurable, comprehensive, strategic communication plans for the lines of business or staff functions that are driving culture change across the organization. The incumbent drives culture and internal brand goals and objectives and ensures coordination across the units and the businesses for maximum impact. S/he provides top-notch strategic executive communications support to the leaders in the line of business or staff functions including presentation development, speechwriting, intranet blog postings, road shows, appearances at internal and industry events, and the development and placement of “thought leadership” pieces in appropriate outlets (publications, social media, etc.). The incumbent serves as strategic communications adviser to these leader’s teams.
- Provides counsel and support to senior leaders to better communicate the business transformation’s overall vision, strategy, progress and changes to wide variety of audiences.
- Strategizes and implements campaigns leveraging both traditional (collateral, print advertising, direct mail, etc.) and digital (social media, digital advertising, websites, email, etc.) marketing tactics.
- Provides leadership, counsel and training to the executive team and other key leaders within the staff groups on communications strategies, key messages, and critical business issues.
- Assists in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership to various audiences including employees in the field.
- Track press and media mentions, define and hit press KPIs. Provide issue management for external/media inquiries.
- Serves as point of contact and liaison between staff functions and the shared communications functions; for example: collaborates with media, corporate events and intranet teams to provide full service communications support.
- Directs, develops, and implements comprehensive communications for the teams.
- Aligns messaging for corporate communication activities and strategic company events.
- Partners with account managers and corporate communications extended teams (public relations, investor relations) and others across the organization to ensure message alignment in support of the Company’s strategy.
- Develops thought leadership content to help build our brand and our leadership voice.
- Provides guidance to the operations management team and cross-functionally to teams such as customer service, customer development and operational excellence, to help shape local marketing strategies.
- Recruits, trains, develops, motivates, sets goals, and provides on-going feedback to a team of direct reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Manages subordinate managers and professional staff. Is responsible for the strategic guidance, development and evaluation of employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Santander’s policies and applicable laws.
- Education – Bachelor’s Degree: in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or an equivalent field or equivalent work experience; Master’s Degree: in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or an equivalent field.
- Experience – 12-15 years’ experience in public/media relations and social media. Must have experience managing external communications for a publicly traded company.
- Skills & Abilities – Strategic and analytical thinker, with excellent business acumen and understanding of global footprint; Advanced proficiency with MS Office Suite and database applications; Excellent verbal and written communications skills (strong track record in executive communications); Strong project management skills with an exceptional attention to detail; Fosters a can-do, roll-up-your-sleeves, customer-focused environment emphasizing teamwork, collaboration, flexibility and strategic thinking; Proven ability to build relationships across a diverse organization, fostering trust and credibility; Exceptional speechwriting and presentation development skills and strong PowerPoint skills; Ability to turn complex ideas into relatable stories easily understood by a broad audience. Collaborative approach to working with colleagues and strong interpersonal skills; Strong leadership skills. Ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations; Flexible, resilient and problem solver; both a strong team player and an independent worker; Demonstrated ability to allow objective judgment and discretion as necessary.
- Change Orientation – Flexibility: Advanced – Leading and Guiding; Anticipates the impact of change and creates an environment where change can be initiated with minimal disruptions and negative impact; Helps people to understand how proposed changes will affect them and the organization
- Change Orientation – Support for Change: Advanced – Leading and Guiding – Recognizes potential and multiple impacts of change and acts as a coach to help people understand and prepare for change; Takes proactive action to maintain relationships that are impacted by change
- Collaboration – Relationship Management: Advanced – Leading and Guiding – Improves relationships between key individuals to achieve seamless cross-team work flow and positively impact results; Uses informal networks to gain support for ideas and projects
- Collaboration – Teamwork: Advanced – Leading and Guiding – Brings out the best in each team member by consistently motivating and acknowledging peer contributions; Understands and leverages team dynamics
- Problem Solving – Resourcefulness: Advanced – Leading and Guiding – Ensures required resources and skills are in place to maintain smooth day-to-day operations and tackle arising problems
- Execution – Accountability: Advanced – Leading and Guiding – Fully accountable for timeliness, completeness, quality of projects, processes, products and services; Remains calm and focused on goals while facing pressures, obstacles or short-term setbacks
- Collaboration – Conflict Management: Advanced – Leading and Guiding – Identifies and focuses on resolving the key issue at the heart of the conflict; Displays strong diplomacy skills; anticipates and prepares for how others will react
- Risk Business Acumen – Industry Acumen: Advanced – Leading and Guiding – Keeps up -to-date with external market events, pressures and regulations which may impact the organization and assesses whether similar issues exist in the organization; Can identify functional and organizational implications associated with major trends; Designs solutions to address industry activities that impact the organization
- Frequently: Minimal physical effort such as sitting, standing, and walking.
- Occasional moving and lifting of equipment and furniture is required to support onsite and offsite meeting setup and teardown.
- Physically capable of lifting up to fifty pounds, able to bend, kneel, climb ladders.
- This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
- The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.