SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the VP of Internal Audit, the Director of Internal Audit is responsible for designing and implementing a company-wide risk assessment and internal audit program; oversee and direct execution of the annual audit plan, ensuring high professional standards as set forth in Internal Audit’s Charter. Perform responsibilities applying advanced expertise and critical thinking as consultant to the entire internal audit team and top management with substantial authority to recommend remediation over a broad functional area and assess the adequacy of management’s control design and effectiveness of control activities. The Director of Internal Audit will serve as both a “Manager of Process” and a “Manager of People” and is responsible for conducting and overseeing multiple initiatives, including continuous auditing efforts, continuous monitoring programs, continuous improvement plans and simultaneous audit engagements comprised of both internal and external co-sourced resources, ensuring timely progress and completion of audits. In addition, the Director of Internal Audit is responsible for coordinating audit coverage with SHUSA contacts, developing and managing Internal Audit resources, in conjunction with serving as a strong member of the Internal Audit leadership team and contributing in raising the stature of Internal Audit throughout the organization. This role will also be responsible, when necessary, for audit coordination, board level reporting and the management of ongoing audit recommendation tracking and validation activities.
- Proactively develops, implements and maintains the Internal Audit program, including the audit plan, which identifies and addresses key business and risks across the entire organization. Conducts enterprise and project level risk assessments for their areas of responsibility.
- Execution and reporting of annual and quarterly enterprise risk assessments.
- Develops significant senior line management relationships within the business (business partner status).
- Proactively manages the relationships with regulatory agencies, external consultants and other internal risk management groups as assigned by the VP of Internal Audit.
- Provides ongoing input and periodic updates to the VP of Internal Audit and/or Chief Audit Officer.
- Directs complex audit activities for a component of a product line, function or legal entity.
- Serves as the Subject Matter Expert in their respective areas of responsibilities.
- Applies comprehensive expertise in one or more of the company businesses.
- Applies an in-depth understanding of the interrelationships of business and support units throughout the corporation and how they impact the overall control environment and the audit approach.
- Proactively develops and executes a robust Audit Plan for assigned businesses in accordance with Internal Audit standards, applying critical thinking and exercising judgment in performing audit services.
- Oversees planning, progress and completion of multiple audits simultaneously.
- Analyzes effectiveness and efficiency of control environment; identifies control gaps and makes recommendations on any necessary process improvement, corrective actions, or remediation.
- Evaluates audit results/findings and leads discussions providing knowledgeable and objective counsel to effectively influence organizational leaders.
- Owns and reviews the documentation of the results of audit work in accordance with regulatory standards.
- Prepares and presents reports that identify key business risks and assesses the adequacy of current processes and controls.
- Delivers on time high quality audit reports, Internal Audit, regulatory issue validation and governance committee reporting.
- Accurate tracking/reporting; timely and adequate follow-up and validation of open/closed audit observations, MRAs and Consent Orders.
- Management of ongoing audit recommendation tracking and validation activities (e.g., sampling methodology, documentation requirements, quality etc.).
- Assists with managing a team of audit professionals and develops team members by providing feedback on strength and growth areas, providing an environment that supports learning and development, and regularly discussing progress towards goals with direct reports.
- Participates in the various committees across the organization.
- Stays abreast of changes to regulatory requirements and SCUSA compliance policies and procedures.
- Represents team interests at internal meetings, committees and working groups and external functions as needed, including coordinating and/or contributing to SCUSA reporting to external parties.
- Coordinate the development of a continuous auditing program on the different areas of the organization to provide insight of business and risk trends and comparisons with the industry.
- Execution and reporting of ongoing continuous monitoring and continuous auditing activities.
- Develops and Reviews the Business Monitoring Quarterly reports.
Responsible, when necessary, for audit coordination and board level reporting.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Provides leadership and direction through managers and exempt staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Santander’s policies and applicable laws.
- Bachelors or equivalent, preferably in Business Administration or Economics.
- Eight (8) to ten (10) or more years of progressive experience in a public accounting or financial services firm in an organization that is under strong regulatory oversight and scrutiny required.
- At least three (3) to five (5) years of experience in a public accounting or internal audit role within the financial services industry or related control function.
- Six (6) years’ management experience.
- Extensive proven experience in audit or risk manage at a consumer finance public company and/or consultancy with emphasis in risk management in financial services
- Strong knowledge of Auto Finance (prime and subprime lending through dealers including auto loans, leasing, and commercial lending); unsecured lending; including applicable regulations required.
- Demonstrated knowledge in auditing cybersecurity, network infrastructure risks and controls, originations, servicing, and/or strong risk advisor and/or risk manager.
- Proficient with US regulatory compliance and enterprise risk management standards in a consumer lending company.
- Compliance and quality control experience; knowledge of third-party risk management regulations required.
- Proven ability to build strong partnerships with key stakeholders and think strategically.
- Proven ability to be able to multi task as well as asses and change priorities.
- Strong skills in time management, problem solving, writing communication.
- Effective under pressure and willing to take personal risk and accountability.
- Strong analytical skills particularly in regard to assessing the probability and impact of an internal control weakness.
- Excellent analytical, decision making and time management skills. Mature planning, organizing and directing skills.
- Advanced skills in creating high-impact presentations for all audiences (senior management, regulators, training, etc.) including the ability to represent content concisely and through charts and graphics for enhanced visual impact.
- Ability to collaborate with all levels of management and influence changes at the highest levels of the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex and sensitive issues to senior management in a persuasive manner.
- Demonstrated leadership and team development experience.
- Certifications (CPA, CIA, CRCM, CRMA, CISA, etc.).
- Master’s degree in finance, accounting, information systems or a related field preferred.
The working conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Extended working hours may be required as dictated by management and business needs.
- Travel to multiple facilities may be required (10% or less).
- May be required to lift, push, or pull materials weighing up to twenty (20) pounds.
- May be required to sit and review information on a computer screen for long periods of time.
- May require repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard.
- Corporate role.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.