Director, Strategic Operations Governance Risk and ControlsOperations Strategy Dallas, Texas
Summary of Responsibilities:
Support the VP, Strategic Operations Governance Risks and Controls in ensuring that the 1st Line of Defense (“FLOD”) internal control environment are built and effectively managed. The Director is responsible for providing guidance and effective challenge to the FLOD to ensure SC is complaint with internal policy and regulatory requirements. Compliance with internal policy and regulatory requirements is accomplished through a well-executed Risk Control Self-Assessment (“RCSA”) program that appropriately identifies, assesses, controls, monitors, manages, tests, reports, remediates and trains for continuous improvement. An RCSA Program also promotes an effective internal control environment and culture of risk and compliance. The Director is also responsible for assisting in building a well-qualified team of professionals to provide subject matter expertise, effective challenge, monitoring and oversight of the FLOD to ensure adherence to requirements and internal control guidelines. The Director will support and oversee mapping of business decisions and activities related to established risk appetite and internal controls.
- Support the strategic plan and culture of risk and compliance through the enhancement of the Risk Control Self-Assessment (“RCSA”) program.
- Proactively identify, assess, manage, monitor, remediate, train and report inconsistencies, redundancies and control deficiencies through management of the RCSA program.
- Ensure that robust fair treatment of customer processes are in place with regular reviews to ensure they are consistent, effective, efficient and best-in-class.
- Provide guidance regarding business practices, key decisions, policies, internal controls and, standards. Leverage Subject Matter Experts for regulatory requirement guidance.
- Effectively challenge the FLOD, identifying opportunities for improvement within the internal control environment to ensure compliance.
- Ensure that the RCSA program is aligned to internal standards, methodology, regulatory guidance and industry best practice.
- Promote and embed a Culture of Risk and Compliance within the organization through the RCSA Program.
- Responsible for overseeing day-to-day activities within the group responding to complex and / or escalated risks, significant trends and potential instances of non-compliance.
- Assist with the reporting requirements for applicable Management Committee(s) and the Board of Director regarding the RCSA program, risks to the organization (i.e. internal and external), results and remediation to mitigate the associated risk.
- Monitor industry emerging trends and risks that may have an impact on the organization to ensure that appropriate steps are taken to mitigate the identified risks.
- Demonstrate confident leadership and, sound judgment.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with Executives and Senior Management of Lines of Business (“LoB”) cross functionally.
- Building a well-qualified team of professionals to provide subject matter expertise, effective challenge, monitoring and oversight of the FLOD to ensure adherence to internal policy, process, procedure, guidelines, standards and regulatory requirements.
- Possess deep knowledge of bank and non-bank financial institution, internal control and risk management best practice in larger banking or consumer lending organizations.
- Leads positively in the management of relationships with regulators in all relevant jurisdictions, fostering an environment of mutual trust and respect.
- Provides continuous motivation and development of the team, including setting adequate and measurable goals / objective setting to aide staff development with ongoing review.
- Ensures that all tasks are carried out with a high degree of professionalism.
- Develops team members by providing feedback on strength and growth areas, providing an environment that supports learning and development, and regularly discussing progress towards goals with direct reports.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Provides leadership and direction through managers and exempt staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Santander’s policies and applicable laws.
- Bachelor’s degree with business related or similar focus required.
- Minimum eight (8) to ten (10) years compliance, risk management or similar experience in financial service industry required
- Three (3) to Five (5) years management experience in financial services compliance required.
- Professional certification preferred but not required (CRCM, CIA, CCSA)
- Statistical analysis a plus.
- Prior experience in corporate environment dealing with regulators, auditors and legal counsel is required.
- Preferred but not required experience with regulatory requirements including UDAAP, GLBA, Identity Theft, Credit CARD Act, Reg M, FCRA, FACTA, ECOA (Reg B), TILA, FTC Credit rules, Fair Lending, BSA / AML and OFAC.
- Ability to act proactively to ensure risk management is up-to-date and meets the needs of our business.
- Excellent analytical, technical and problem solving skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Superior leadership and organizational skills.
- High ethical standards.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, collaboration, and time management skills.
- Ability to adapt to various work environments, industries, and project schedules.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with all levels of personnel.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
The working conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Extended working hours may be required as dictated by management and business needs.
- Travel to multiple facilities may be required.
- May be required to lift, push, or pull materials weighing up to twenty (20) pounds.
- May be required to sit and review information on a computer screen for long periods of time
- May require repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard
- Corporate / satellite office role
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.