Senior Internal Controls Analyst (RCSA Testing)Finance Dallas, Texas
Job Family: Finance
The Finance organization is responsible for leading and participating in a number of critical functions including: supporting executive
management decisions making by analyzing results, assessing strategic alternatives and developing strategic plans; communicating
financial results and forecasts with critical stakeholders, including executive management and Board of Directors, shareholders and
regulators; managing the Company’s balance sheet, including interest rate and liquidity risks; establishes the Company’s capital policies and
prioritizes investments; develops and implements controls to reduce operational risk; developing and maintaining financial data and systems.
The Finance organization works across functions and Business lines in the Company, requiring a broad understanding of our business, risk
Job Function: Controllership & Tax
The Controllership function is responsible for the operations and controls surrounding accounting, tax and financial reporting of the
institution. This function’s responsibilities demonstrates expertise in processing transactions, recording accounting entries, managing the
general ledger and reconciliations, and interpreting and complying with technical accounting matters and financial reporting disclosure
requirements. Through the Controllership function, stakeholders receive relevant insight and commentary on transaction-level and financial
results for analysis and decision making. The Tax function prepares income tax returns and indirect tax filings. Provides research and advice
on tax-related matters.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Sr. Analyst, Controllership (Senior Internal Controls Analyst (RCSA Testing)) is responsible for the process administration, accounting entries, reconciliations, reporting, analysis, and documentation of assigned job areas within the accounting and financial reporting function. S/he improves the effectiveness of the accounting reporting team by making adjustments and/or enhancements to current accounting and reporting processes.
Primary focus will be with the Risk Control Self-Assessment program for Finance at SC.
- Performs first line of defense data analysis, report preparation and trend analysis, utilizing business intelligence tools.
- Identifies, analyzes, monitors, and completes control testing, control and risk education, and operational and risk support activities to the business.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement that will strengthen the overall control environment.
- Learns to translate control deficiencies into action plans. Contributes to the enhancement of governance practices in alignment with risk and compliance frameworks.
- Conducts periodic risk assessments of operational areas to identify areas of risk, including the documentation of risks, identification of risk owners, measurement of risks, and facilitation of appropriate risk treatment plans
- Partners with management to identify applicable key risk indicators and to coordinate root cause analysis, action plan development and implementation of needed updates. Assist with special projects related to Controls, on an as needed basis.
- Assists in the fulfillment of our external and internal audit requirements around SOX
- Assists in the development, implementation, and maintenance of our risk management framework.
- Assists in the execution of Risk Control Self-Assessments (RCSA’s).
- Partners with process owners to identify control failures, and assesses the impact.
- Supports management on the identification and measurement of trends and improvements utilizing best practices.
- Assists with the development and documentation of achievable and sustainable action plans to remediate identified control weaknesses.
- Manages the process of assessing critical risk and controls identified by management.
- Prepares reports and provides insight to business on control / risk management including Error / Near Miss analyses. Responsible for interpreting regulations in order to adjust and improve internal controls.
- Performs ongoing supervision of established business controls and applies maturing knowledge to perform root cause analyses, testing coordination and seeks guidance from team members to evaluate the effectiveness of established business controls.
- Makes recommendations to drive improvement efforts and participates in the remediation through action plan coordination and support.
- Acquires and applies a developing knowledge of changes to the regulatory environment to ensure proper compliance with processes and requirements are followed.
- Administers the processing, accounting entries, reconciliations, reporting, analysis, and documentation of assigned job areas within the accounting reporting team.
- Improves the effectiveness of the accounting reporting team by making adjustments and/or enhancements to current accounting and reporting processes.
- Creates and/or improves the accounting and reporting processes; recommends enhancements or improvements to improve effectiveness of reporting team.
- Prepares or reviews regulatory reports and research to resolve discrepancies or significant variances.
- Communicates with the team concerning new information requests and research while developing working relationships with
business line personnel.
- Provides guidance to business lines related to financial reporting requirements.
Informs, gains input, and supports decision making by the sharing of knowledge, status, needs, and issues across business
- Guides and assists junior level professionals as needed.
- Prepares / Reviews, reconciles or analyzes accounting entries, transactions and results in the general ledger and consolidation
- Acts as a subject matter expert (SME) while providing leadership, guidance, and mentorship to other project managers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education – Bachelor’s Degree: Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a equivalent field.or equivalent work experience
- Experience –
- 3-5 years of relatable experience in accounting, financial reporting or auditing field or equivalent work experience
- 4-7 years of experience in Audit, Risk Management, and/or Internal Controls preferred
- Skills & Abilities –
- Developing knowledge of relevant regulatory compliance, industry regulations and regulatory data sources required.
- Knowledge and working understanding of additional auditing standards, theories, concepts, and terms (including Sarbanes-Oxley, COBIT and the COSO Integrated Control Framework).
- Issue management experience (validation, mapping to controls, remediation planning, tracking and reporting).
- Knowledge and experience with IT risk management and use of control frameworks.
- Control testing experience.
- Operational Risk Management Experience.
- Experience working with metric stream.
- Experience in gap or risk analysis.
- Strong collaboration and relationship management skills.
- Control mindset.
- High sense of urgency with ability to drive results.
- Demonstrable evidence of stakeholder management.
- Effective multi-tasking and prioritization skills.
- Self-starter, able to establish relationships and transcend multiple cross-functional/divisional boundaries, largely unaided.
- Ability to handle diverse workload and tight schedules.
- Strong risk assessment, negotiation and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to lead and drive change.
- Excellent verbal and written communication/presentation skills.
- Solid understanding of GAAP.
- Strong interpersonal skills and positive attitude.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid time management and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to interpret and analyze data with advanced reasoning and analysis skills.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting practices and procedures, including US GAAP/IFRS and regulatory reporting standards.
- Proficient skills in MS Office, MS Excel, MS Outlook.
- Ability to multi-task and adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing business environment.
- Ability to adjust to new developments/changing circumstances.
- Ability to influence others.
- Ability to lead and coach junior level professionals.
- Ability to interact with all levels of employees, including senior level management.
- Ability to leverage technology to improve and automate business tasks.
- Ability to maintain and report on confidential information in an appropriate manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to details and can analyze information quickly.
- Demonstrated competence of accounting practices and procedures, including US GAAP/IFRS and regulatory reporting standards
- Practical analytical and accounting skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.Ability to focus on details to ensure and maintain data accuracy, and demonstrate holistic understanding of accounting and financial report.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment.
- Ability to multi-task and adhere to deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Intermediate to Advanced experience with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Access.Ability to demonstrate continuous improvement through training.
- Licenses & Certifications – Preferred: CPA – Certified Public Accountant
- Change Orientation – Flexibility: Proficient – Applying and Executing; Adapts quickly to change and makes suggestions for increasing the effectiveness of change; Appropriately shifts attention and refocuses on new goals as a result of changes in priorities or competing work demands
- Collaboration – Teamwork:Proficient – Applying and Executing; Creates a good working environment in the team; works towards shared goals contributing ideas and accepting change; Provides assistance and coaches less experienced team members
- Execution – Accountability:Proficient – Applying and Executing; Follows through to meet commitments to others; Takes responsibility for achieving strong results, despite balancing multiple complex demands
- Execution – Excellence:Proficient – Applying and Executing; Organizes and prioritizes workload and tasks for oneself and team members; Actively plans ahead for routine and cyclical work
- Influence – Two-way communication:Proficient – Applying and Executing; Communicates in a timely and straightforward manner; Probes for additional information, clarifies assumptions and confirms agreed-upon actions; Keeps everyone involved informed about progress and issues
- Problem Solving – Solution Definition:Proficient – Applying and Executing; Sees through complexity and detail to get to the critical issues at hand; Takes into account the wider context within which problems exist
- Risk Business Acumen – Financial Command:Proficient – Applying and Executing; Understands specific financial and accounting standards to identify and assess the impact and likelihood of operational risks
- Risk Management – Knowledge of Risk Management Policies, Regulations, Processes and Procedures:Proficient – Applying and Executing; Executes risk management process and procedures without management direction, and demonstrates awareness of expected results; Knows the relationship and impact of actions and results; Has an understanding of regulations impacting area supported
- Frequently: Minimal physical effort such as sitting, standing, and walking.
- Occasional moving and lifting of equipment and furniture is required to support onsite and offsite meeting setup and teardown.
- Physically capable of lifting up to fifty pounds, able to bend, kneel, climb ladders.
- This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
- The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.