Sr. Analyst, Model DevelopmentAnalytics/Decision Science Dallas, Texas
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Statisticians II are responsible for developing and maintaining sophisticated empirical models – including credit scoring models – for a nonprime auto lender. The position is highly quantitative in nature and requires an individual capable of taking a “hands on” approach to data analysis. This position is furthermore responsible for summarizing and reporting information to a variety of internal and external clients. Statisticians are expected to interact with many other departments in the interest of achieving the overall company objectives.
- Actively participates in the construction of complex mathematical models – including credit origination and customer behavior scorecards – which directly support critical decision making processes and the company’s overall understanding of our business, the markets within which we operate, and our customers.
- Develops the underlying assumptions, theory, empirical evidence, and conceptual soundness of statistical and mathematical models.
- Applies statistical techniques to analyze trends and uncover risks and opportunities relative to portfolio management and originations.
- Uses internal and external data sources to create robust model development datasets.
- Ensures modeling projects are conducted in accordance with established company policies and generally-accepted mathematical modeling practices.
- Identifies modeling needs and communicates them to the Director of Statistical Analysis.
- Periodically assesses department procedures for accuracy and completeness.
- Utilizes data mining and statistical techniques to develop analytic insights, sound hypotheses, and informed recommendations.
- Encapsulates analytic findings into executive-level summary documents to support senior management decision-making.
- Liaisons with IT and other internal teams to define requirements and ensure the timely and accurate delivery of data elements for analytic projects.
- Provides requisite information in support of independent model validation activities.
- Develops a thorough understanding of the firm’s operations and business practices.
- Special projects as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, or a related quantitative discipline required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum two (2) to four (4) years’ experience in an analytics role for a financial services company (or companies), preferably indirect subprime auto financial services. Prior experience developing credit scoring models preferred.
- Familiarity with logistic regression models, segmentation and variable reduction techniques, hypothesis testing, neural networks, design of experiments, ANOVA, decision trees, and linear regression.
- Prior experience working with credit bureau data strongly preferred.
- Prior experience using SAS, particularly SAS base, SAS/STAT, PROC SQL, and SAS Macro programming. Additional knowledge of R preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to use SQL and SAS to extract data from multiple data sources.
- Demonstrated ability to merge, concatenate, and prepare extremely large datasets for statistical analysis and mathematical model development.
- Demonstrated ability to create complex pivot tables in MS Excel.
- Ability to effectively explain advanced mathematical concepts, techniques, and analyses to a business audience.
- Ability to translate analysis into a clear business plan.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Extended working hours may be required as dictated by management and business needs.
- Travel to multiple facilities may be required.
- May be required to sit and review information on a computer screen for long periods of time.
- May require repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard.
- Corporate / satellite office role.
Employer’s Rights: This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.