Sr. Database AdministratorInformation Technology Dallas, Texas
Summary of Responsibilities: The Database Engineer IV shall be responsible for maintaining current database systems, troubleshooting issues, designing new databases, ensuring database availability, ensuring data integrity, implementing database changes, managing security, and providing on-call support.
- Trains and develops technical support and applications staff to better utilize on-line processing databases and the enterprise’s computer environment.
- Provides and designs tools to assist in the management of the database and transaction processing environment.
- Works to provide a working model of our transaction processing environment for capacity assessment and planning.
- Develops a methodology for the ongoing assessment of database performance and the identification of problem areas.
- Develops a security scheme for the database environment, as well as assisting in disaster recovery, if necessary.
- Provides leadership during the development and enhancement of the enterprise’s production applications including working with applications, technical support and operations during the design, development and implementation of applications.
- Recognizes and identifies potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need to be developed, especially regarding future business expansion.
- Fulfills departmental requirements in terms of providing work coverage and administrative notification during periods of personnel illness, vacation, or education.
- Performs at or above the enterprise’s Information Technology performance standards.
- Participates with vendors in the assessment of advanced transaction processing and database productions including beta and field test participation.
- Special projects as requests
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in IT preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- Eight (8) plus years’ experience with Microsoft SQL Server.
- Four (4) plus years’ experience transactional replication.
- Five (3) plus years’ experience writing, troubleshooting, and tuning queries in T-SQL.
- Ability to secure SQL Server following established industry best practices, recommend/establish encryption with SQL Server and familiarity with responding to SOX audit requests
- One (3) to three (5) years’ experience with SQL Server running atop Microsoft Clusters and/or other forms of SQL Server High Availability (HA)
- Ability to perform database modeling and/or design duties using Erwin and/or other ER tools
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert – SQL Server preferred
- Demonstrated experience selecting and implementing SQL Server hosting platforms based upon cost, HA, and Disaster Recovery (DR) considerations
- Experience selecting and base lining differing storage technologies in the service of SQL Server following established best practices
- Three (3) plus years’ experience with CMD shell or PowerShell preferred
- Demonstrated strong organization skills and detail oriented.
- Experience with large-scale, complex database environments
- Ability to self-motivate and meet deadlines.
- Intense desire to learn
- Ability to express complex technical concepts effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced, changing environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Extended working hours may be required as dictated by management and business needs.
- Travel to multiple facilities may be required.
- May be required to lift, push, or pull materials weighing up to twenty (20) pounds.
- May be required to sit and review information on a computer screen for long periods of time.
- May require repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard.
- Corporate / satellite office role.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.